pH is defined as the measure of hydrogen ion concentration which is used for measuring the acidity or alkalinity of a given solution.
Following is the equation that is used for calculating the pH:
pH = -log[H+]
Values of pH
- The range of the pH scale varies from 0 to 14
- Solutions having a value of pH ranging 0 to 7 on pH scale are known as acidic and for the value of pH ranging 7 to 14 on pH scale are called basic solutions.
- Solutions having the value of pH equal to 7 on pH scale are termed as neutral solutions.
|Example||Acid / Base/ Neutral||pH value|
|Liquid Drain cleaner||Base||13|
Applications of pH
- To determine the strength of the solution
- To identify the nature of the solution whether acidic or basic
- To identify the type of soil in agriculture
- Used for environmental monitoring