Borax dissolves in water to give an alkaline solution.
Na2B4O7 + 7H2O → 2NaOH + 4H3BO3
Sodium tetraborate decahydrate is the IUPAC name of borax. It’s a component of the many detergents, cosmetics. The term borax is usually used for several closely related minerals or chemical compounds.
- Borax is naturally found in evaporite deposits which are produced by the recurrent evaporation of seasonal lakes.
- Naturally occurring borax is purified by recrystallization.
- Borax reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce boric acid.
- Borax has many chemical characteristics that add to its cleaning ability.
- Borax is quick for the body to break down when it is either inhaled or swallowed.