A globe is a three-dimensional sphere, that is used for representing the whole earth. It helps in searching for different countries and oceans.
What is a globe?
A globe is a spherical model of Earth. It serves purposes that are similar to some maps. A model globe of Earth is known as a terrestrial globe. A model globe of the celestial sphere is called a celestial globe.
Features of globe
- Globes come in various sizes and types such as big ones, small pocket globes, and globe-like balloons.
- The globe is not fixed and can be rotated in the same fashion as a topspin or a potter’s wheel is rotated.
- On the globe, countries, continents and oceans are shown in their correct size.
- A needle is fixed through the globe in a tilted manner, which is called its axis.
- Two points on the globe through which the needle passes are two poles – the North Pole and the South Pole.
- The globe can be moved around this needle from west to east just as the earth moves. But, there is a major difference.