Port Blair is the capital of Andaman Nicobar Islands. The Andaman and the Nicobar Islands with capital Port Blair lie to the southeast of the Indian mainland in the Bay of Bengal. India’s final point namely Indira point is located in this Island.
- Famous for the popular cellular jail
- Port Blair has a tropical monsoon climate
- Most common religion is Hinduism followed by Christianity and Islam
- Bengali is the most common language. Hindi, Tamil and Telugu are other languages spoken by the people
- Tourism is the main leading economy.
The southernmost part of India is the Indira Point is located in the island of Andaman and Nicobar. It is a village in the Nicobar island and the exact location of the point is in the great Nicobar Tehsil. The place was named as Indira point after the Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi. The point was earlier known as Pygmalion Point and Parsons Point. The announcement was made by the local Member of Parliament when Indira Gandhi visited the local lighthouse on 19 February 1984. The official renaming ceremony happened on 10 October 1985. On April 30 1972 the lighthouse of Indira point was commenced. The village comes under the jurisdiction of Laxmi Nagar panchayat. The area is protected by Indian Coast Guard.