The poisonous gas that can be prepared from chlorine gas is phosgene gas. The formula of phosgene gas is COCl2.
Properties of phosgene gas
Listed below are few properties of phosgene gas
- Phosgene gas may appear colourless or sometimes yellowish-white.
- The gas has a pleasant odour of newly harvested hay or green corn. At high concentrations, the odour is strong and unpleasant.
- On cooling under pressure, phosgene gas can be converted into a liquid so that it can be shipped and stored.
Harmful effects of phosgene gas
- At room temperature, phosgene is a poisonous gas.
- Breathing the air with phosgene gas present in it causes difficulty in breathing. One can observe skin and eye irritation as well.