Vinegar is a dilute aqueous solution of ethanoic acid.
- The main component of vinegar is acetic acid, which gives a sour taste and pungent aroma.
- Acetic acid (CH3COOH), also called ethanoic acid, the most important of the carboxylic acids.
- Ethanoic acid is used as a solvent for the production of camphor and cooking material.
- Acetic acid is used as a degreasing solvent and cleaning agent.
- Farmers sometimes spray acetic acid on livestock silage to fight fungal and bacterial growth.
- Ethanoic acid reacts with a base to give the salt and water just like other mineral acids.