Arid soils have surface horizons with several unique characteristics. Arid soil can be classified as a group of soils belonging to the aridisol order of USDA classification. Some important features of arid soil are:
- The soil red and brown in colour.
- It is sandy in texture.
- It is saline in nature and lacks humus and moisture.
- Arid soils contain a substantial amount of soluble salts.
- It is alkaline in nature because there is no rain to wash soluble salts.
- These soils are very infertile in nature.
- Arid soils are most characterized by their water deficiencies.
- It contains high levels of gypsum, calcium carbonates, sodium.