A photodiode is a type of diode which is used for converting the light into current or voltage based on its operation. There are four types of photodiode, and they are Schottky, PN, PIIN, and Avalanche photodiode.
Following are the properties of photodiode:
- The noise produced by the photodiode is very less.
- The life span of the photodiode is very long.
- It is one of the light weighted and compact diodes.
- With respect to incident light, the linearity of the diode is good.
- Wide spectral response is expected from the photodiode.
- It can be mechanically rugged.