Probably the first use made of gypsum was as a plaster of Paris. Its application in the arts has been extended until it is now one of the important structural materials and is essential in many industries. Calcium sulfate hemihydrate (CaSO4.2H2O), known as plaster of Paris.
- Used in making casts and patterns for molds and statues.
- Used as the cement in ornamental casting and for making decorative materials.
- Used as a fireproofing material and for making chalks.
- Used in hospitals for immobilizing the affected part in case of bone fracture or sprain.
- Used to fill small gaps on walls & roofs.