Diversity means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing their individual differences. These differences can be along the dimensions of race, gender, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation. Diversity is more than tolerating differences, it is a set of conscious practices that involve:
- Understanding and appreciating the interdependence of humanity, cultures, and the natural environment.
- Exercising mutual respect for qualities and experiences that are different from our own.
- Understanding that diversity includes not only ways of being but also ways of knowing.
- Understanding that personal, cultural and institutionalized discrimination shapes and provides privileges for some while creating and nurturing disadvantages for others.
- Forging alliances across diversity so that we can work together to destroy all forms of discrimination.