The electronic configuration of an element is a symbolic notation of the manner in which the electrons of its atoms are distributed over different atomic orbitals. While writing electron configurations, a standardized notation is followed in which the energy level and the type of orbital are written first, followed by the number of electrons present in the orbital written in superscript.
Palladium(Pd), the chemical element with an atomic number of 46, is a rare element and has a lustrous silver appearance.
The abbreviated electronic configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s0 4d10. In short it can also be written as [Kr] 4d10
Uses of Palladium
- The metal serves as a catalyst in many chemical processes like hydrogenation, petroleum cracking, and dehydrogenation.
- Palladium is a Lindlar catalyst and sometimes referred to as Lindlar Palladium.
- Used in electrodes and also being a major component for multi-layer ceramic capacitors.
- Being an absorbent of hydrogen, used for storage of the same.
- Used for jewellery making since time immemorial.
- Used by photographers to make fine art with black and white prints using palladium salts.