1. Where do the winter cyclones originate?
2. What is loo?
3. Name the branches of the south-west monsoon winds.
4. During which season do cyclones develop in the Bay of Bengal?
5. Name the wettest place in India.
1. The winter cyclones originate in the Mediterranean Sea; they cause mild rainfall in the Northern Plains and snowfall in the Himalayas.
2. Loo are the hot and dust-laden winds that blow in north India. They mostly originate in the state of Rajasthan. These winds are dry; hence, they do not cause any rainfall.
3. The branches of southwest monsoon winds are as follows:
The Bay of Bengal branch
The Arabian Sea branch
4. During the retreating season, cyclones originate in the Bay of Bengal; these cyclones create a great havoc and cause loss of life and property in coastal areas.
5. The wettest place in India is Mawsynram. It is located in Meghalaya near Cherrapunji. The place has recorded the highest annual rainfall of 1142 cm.