The land which cannot be brought under cultivation with the help of available technology – Ravines, hilly terrains, desert lands come under barren and wastelands category.
Land-use records are maintained by the land revenue department. The land-use categories as maintained in the Land Revenue Records are as follows:
The cultural practice adopted to give rest to the land is known as fallowing. The land recoups the lost fertility through natural processes. Under current fallow land, the land is left without cultivation for less than one or one agricultural year.
If the land is left uncultivated for more than five years, it would be categorized as culturable wasteland.
Area under Permanent Pastures and Grazing Lands
- Only a small proportion of this land is privately owned.
- Typically this kind of land is owned by the village Panchayat or Government. It comes under ‘common property resources’.
Land put to Non-agricultural Uses
- Land taken for Infrastructure developments like roads, canals, etc., land under urban and rural settlements shops, industries, etc. comes under this classification.
Area under Miscellaneous Tree Crops and Groves (Not included is Net sown Area)
- Most of the land under this category is privately owned.
- The land under orchards and fruit trees comes under this category.