The shape of the px orbital is dumb-bell.
The wave nature of electrons in an atom is defined by atomic orbitals, which are mathematical functions.
- There are four different types of orbitals, each with a different shape, denoted by the symbols s, p, d, and f.
- The s and p orbitals are the ones that are taken into account since they are the most important in organic and biological chemistry.
- The nucleus is at the centre of an s-orbital.
- The p-orbital is dumbbell-shaped.
- Four of the five d orbitals are cloverleaf-shaped.
- The fifth d orbital is shaped like elongated dumbbell with a doughnut in the middle.