The IUPAC name of (CH3)3CCHO is 2,2-Dimethylpropanal
Rules Of Nomenclature
As per the Guidelines set by IUPAC, the nomenclature of compounds must follow the following steps:
- The Longest Chain Rule: The parent chain of the given compound generally the longest chain of carbon atoms is chosen, and itis preferred to be in the form of a straight-chain or a chain of any other shape.
- The Lowest Set of Locants: The carbon atoms belonging to the parent chain must be numbered using natural numbers and beginning from the end in with the least number of the carbon atom which carries the substituents.
- Multiple instances of the same substituent: The prefixes that indicate the total number of the same substituent group in the given compound is mentioned, such as di, tri, etc.
- Naming of different substituents: In the organic compounds that contain multiple substituents, the corresponding substituents are arranged in alphabetical order of names as per the IUPAC nomenclature of compounds given.
- The naming of different substituents present at the same positions: When two different substituent groups are present at the same position of the compound, the substituents are named in ascending alphabetical order.
The format for the IUPAC nomenclature of the Compound can be given as: Locant + Prefix + Root + Locant + Suffi