In our previous class, we learned about the word pad, notepad, Microsoft word, along with how to open, save and close the document. We also learned about the different tools in MS Word and its functions. In this chapter, we will learn how to create a spreadsheet and the components of MS Excel Window.
Any file created in MS Excel is known as a workbook. A workbook may contain one or more spreadsheets, and these spreadsheets are used to enter the data to do calculations on it. A spreadsheet is also called a worksheet.
What is a Spreadsheet?
The spreadsheet is an electronic document in which data is arranged in rows and columns. It helps us add, subtract, multiply and divide vast data within a fraction of a second.
We can also store, arrange, sort, manipulate and calculate the data easily in this spreadsheet.
In this spreadsheet, the horizontal lines from top to bottom in a worksheet are called rows. These rows are numbered serially as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5……………. and every row is identified with its row number. The vertical lines across the worksheet are called columns, and each column is identified by an alphabet arranged from A to Z and then AA to AZ and so on.
Other uses of the spreadsheet are:
- To calculate day to day expenses and earnings.
- Multiple worksheets can be added and deleted in a single Excel file.
- When the data is saved in the form of a table, it becomes easier to recheck, when required.
- Doing calculations has become more accessible and less time-taking with the formulas option in MS Excel.
- Excel spreadsheets are also used in hospitals, shops, and other offices to store the details of employees, along with their contact details, address, salary packages, etc.
How to Open MS Excel Window?
Here is a list of instructions used to open MS Excel :
- Drag the mouse pointer to the start button.
- Click on the left button of the mouse.
- The start menu will appear on the screen.
- Search and click on the “All programs” option.
- Search and click on Microsoft Office.
- Select and click on the Microsoft Excel 2007 option.
How to Create a New File?
Here is a list of instructions used to open a new file
- Click the Microsoft Office button.
- Click New Option.
- Click Blank and Recent.
- Click Blank Workbook.
- Click on Create.
- A new file appears before us.
How to Save the Existing File?
Here is a list of instructions used for saving a file:
- Go to the File menu, select and click on the “Save as” option.
- Give a specific name to the file.
- Choose the location or folder where you want to save the file.
- Save the file or a worksheet into a folder.
- Now click on the Save button.
- The file has been saved successfully with the given name in the My Documents folder.
How to Close a File?
After opening the file, it is necessary to close a worksheet file after working on it. By doing this, the data will remain safe.
To close the file:
- Go to the File menu.
- Select and click on the “Exit” option.
- A dialogue box will appear on the screen with the options ‘Yes’ or ‘No.’
- Click on the ‘Yes’ option. The file will get closed.
Stay tuned to BYJU’S for more information on NIOS, syllabus, notes, along with its important questions and solutions.