On our way to school, playgrounds, and places near trees, we see many kinds of wastes, which have been dumped, and the area filled with polythene bags, plastic bottles, tins, cans and other scraps.
Is this a correct practise of dumping and throwing waste and garbage on the roadside?
No. We should not throw garbage and waste here and there. We should throw it in the dustbin only.
In this chapter, let us learn about the different kinds of garbage and waste, disposal of garbage and waste in separate dustbins, cleanliness of surroundings and how to take care of our environment.
Different kinds of Garbage and Waste
The garbage and other waste that decay or spoil are called degradable waste. These wastes are also called organic wastes.
Paper, dried leaves, old and torn clothes, peels of vegetables, leftover food, etc. These are examples of organic wastes. These wastes are also called degradable wastes because once these wastes rot, they get mixed with the soil.
The garbage and other wastes that do not decay are called non-degradable waste.
These wastes are also called inorganic wastes.
Iron nails, tins, bottles, pieces of glass, plastic cans, and other polythene items are examples of inorganic wastes. These wastes are also called non-degradable because they do not rot or spoil over a long period and remain lying on the ground.
Disposal of Garbage and Waste in Separate Dustbins
- Proper disposal will occur only when different kinds of garbage and waste are segregated and kept apart.
- There are two types of wastes that need to be segregated and disposed of into two different dustbins.
- We should not mix both degradable wastes and non-degradable wastes.
- Place all the wastes, which rot, such as peels of vegetables, leftover food, paper, leaves etc., in a separate dustbin. These wastes can be used to produce compost manure for our garden.
- Place all the non-degradable wastes such as iron nails, glass, plastic, polythene etc., in a separate dustbin. All these wastes are collected by scrap collectors or the garbage disposal vehicle. The iron, glass and plastic wastes are sent to factories, melted or burnt to manufacture many valuable items. In this way, garbage and scrap and waste are re-used.
We should segregate the wastes into two separate dustbins.
- Green colour dustbins – This dustbin is for organic waste
- Red colour dustbins – This dustbin is for glass vials, bottles, plastic, etc.
There are other dustbins used in hospitals, laboratories, and other industries.
The environment is also polluted by garbage and waste. If the environment is clean, we shall be healthy. We should never throw garbage on the roadside. We should throw it in the dustbin only, and keep separate dustbins for organic and inorganic waste.
Stay tuned to BYJU’S for more information on NIOS, syllabus, notes, along with its important questions and solutions.