We measure many things daily. We use different units, like millimetres, decimetres, centimetres, metres, feet, inches, yards and kilometres, to measure length, height, width, distance, etc.
In this chapter, let us learn about the different units of measurement.
Types of Measurement
- We use a scale for the measurement of length.
- The length between 0 and 100 on a centimetre scale is 1 metre.
- Temperature is measured in degrees Celsius and degrees Fahrenheit.
- The average temperature of our body is 34°C celsius or 98.6° Fahrenheit.
- We use millilitre, litre, and kilolitre for measuring liquids such as milk, oil, and kerosine.
- For measuring the weight of solid objects, we use kilogram, gram, quintal, tons, etc.
- We use standard measurements such as millilitre, deciliter, metre, decimetre, centimetre, kilometre, etc.
Units of Length
- 10 millimeter (m) = 1 centimetre(cm)
- 100 centimetre (cm) = 1 metre(m)
- 1000 centimetre (cm) = 1 kilometre(km)
- 10 centimetre (cm) = 1 decimetre
- 10 decimetre(dm) = 1 metre(m)
- 10 metre (m) = 1 decametre (dam)
- 10 decametre (dam) = 1 hectometre (hm)
- 10 hectometre (hm) = 1 kilometre (km)
Units of Weight
- 10 milligram (mg) = 1 centigram (cg)
- 10 centigram (cg) = 1 decigram (dg)
- 10 decigram (dg) = 1 gram (gm)
- 10 gram (gm) = 1 decagram (dag)
- 10 decagram (dag) = 1 hectogram (hg)
- 10 hectogram (hg) = 1 kilogram (kg)
- 1 gram (gm) = 1000 milligram(mg)
- 1 kilogram (kg) = 1000 gram (gm)
- 100 kilogram (kg) = 1quintal
- 10 quintal = 1 ton
Units of Capacity
- 1 litre (l) = 1000 millilitre (ml)
- ½ litre (l) = 500 millilitre (ml)
- 10 litre(l) = 1 daca litre (dal)
- 10 deciliter (dl) = 1 litre (l)
- 100 centilitre (cl) = 1 litre (l)
- 1000 millilitre (ml) = 1 litre (l)
- 500 millilitre (ml) = 1/2litre (l)
- 100 litre (l) = 1 hectolitre (hl)
- 1000 litre (l) = 1 kilo litre (kl)
- 10 daca litre (dal) = 1 hectolitre (hl)
Units of Time
- One minute = 60 second
- One hour = 60 minutes
- One day = 24 hours
- One week = 7 days
- One month = 30 or 31 days
- One year = 12 months = 365 or 366 days in a leap year
- One decade = 10 years
- One century = 100 years
- One Millenium = 100 years
- February month has 28 or 29 days
- Leap year comes every four years
Stay tuned to BYJU’S for more information on NIOS, syllabus, notes, along with its important questions and solutions.