Dividing Mixed Fractions Calculator is a free online tool that displays the division of two mixed fractions. BYJU’S online dividing mixed fractions calculator tool performs the calculation faster and it displays the result of the division process in a fraction of seconds.
How to Use the Dividing Mixed Fractions Calculator?
The procedure to use the dividing mixed fractions calculator is as follows:
Step 1: Enter the whole number and the fractional part value in the input field
Step 2: Now click the button “Solve” to get the division of two numbers
Step 3: Finally, the division of two mixed fractions will be displayed in the output field
What is Meant by the Dividing Mixed Fractions?
We know that the fraction represents the part of the whole. It is of the form a/b. The value mentioned in the top is called the numerator, and the value mentioned in the bottom is called the denominator. There are three different types of fractions. They are proper fraction, improper fraction, and mixed fraction.
- In a proper fraction, the numerator value is lesser than the denominator value. Example: 5/7
- In an improper fraction, the numerator value is greater than the denominator value. Example:9/8
- A mixed fraction is a combination of a whole number and a proper fraction. Example: 2 ½.
Like integers, the fractions can also be added, subtracted, multiplied and divided. While dividing two mixed fractions, follow the below steps.
- Convert the mixed fraction into the improper fraction
- Now, take the reciprocal of the second fraction (i.e., divisor)
- Now, multiply the first fraction and the second fraction
- Simplify the fractions, if required
Solved Example on Dividing Mixed Fractions
Divide 3 ½ by 2 ½
Given that, (3 ½) / (2 ½)
Now, convert the given mixed fraction into the improper fraction
(3 ½) / (2 ½) = (7/2) /(5/2)
Now, take the reciprocal of the divisor and multiply it by the first fraction
(3 ½) / (2 ½) = (7/2).(2/5)
Simplify the above expression, we get
(3 ½) / (2 ½) = 7/5
Hence, the division of 3 ½ by 2 ½ is 7/5.