Duration of Rajya Sabha
- It is a permanent body and not subject to dissolution.
- One-third of members of the Rajya Sabha retire every second year.
- Their seats are filled up by fresh elections and presidential nominations at the beginning of every third year.
- The retiring members are eligible for re-election and renomination any number of times.
- The Constitution has not fixed the term of office of members of the Rajya Sabha and left it to the Parliament.
- Accordingly, the Parliament in the Representation of People Act (1951) provided that the term of office of the members of the Rajya Sabha shall be six years.
Duration of Lok Sabha
- The Lok Sabha is not a continuing chamber.
- Its normal term is five years from the date of its first meeting.
To read more about the Functions of the Parliament, check the linked article.