Characteristics of westerlies:
- They blow in the middle latitudes between 35 and 65 degrees latitude.
- They blow from the subtropical high-pressure belts towards sub-polar low-pressure belts.
- The winds blow from the southwest in the Northern Hemisphere and from the northwest in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The westerlies of the Southern hemisphere are more robust and constant than the westerlies of the Northern hemisphere.
- They play an important role in carrying the warm, equatorial waters and winds to the western coasts of continents.