Bhopal is the capital of Madhya Pradesh. Bhopal is the administrative headquarters. This article will shed more light on the capital city of Bhopal and the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- Bhopal is located in the central part of India.
- Bhopal is popularly known as the ‘City of Lakes’.
- Bhopal is known for its natural and artificial lakes.
- Bhopal is the 16th largest city in India.
- Bhopal has many institutes of national importance.
- For three consecutive years, Bhopal was ranked as the cleanest state capital city in India.
- Bhopal was chosen as one of the cities to be developed under the “Smart City Mission”.
Bhopal – Economy
- Bhopal has many large and medium industries.
- Bhopal is an important economic and financial hub in Madhya Pradesh.
- Bhopal has many industries such as automobile, textile, electrical goods, pharmaceutics, cotton, chemicals, and jewellery.
- In 1984, Bhopal suffered from a gas tragedy which was the worst industrial disaster in the history of the world.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, which is the largest engineering and manufacturing enterprise in India, is located in Bhopal.
Madhya Pradesh – A Brief Overview
- Area-wise, the second-largest state in India is Madhya Pradesh.
- For many years, Madhya Pradesh was the largest state in India. After Chhattisgarh was carved out of Madhya Pradesh, it slipped down to the second position.
- Apart from Bhopal, the other major cities in Madhya Pradesh are Indore, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Ujjain, Satna, and Guna.
- Madhya Pradesh is located in Central India.
- The states bordering Madhya Pradesh are Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, and Uttar Pradesh.
- Soon after independence, Nagpur was the capital of Madhya Pradesh. After the States Reorganisation Act was passed, the states of India were divided based on language and Bhopal was made the new capital of Madhya Pradesh.
Madhya Pradesh – Economy
- Madhya Pradesh has the largest reserves of copper and diamond in India.
- Madhya Pradesh is rich in other mineral resources such as dolomite, manganese, coal, and coalbed methane.
- Madhya Pradesh has important defence equipment manufacturing units.
- Madhya Pradesh is famous for honey production.
- The economy of Madhya Pradesh gets boosted by historical & religious tourism and wildlife tourism.
Madhya Pradesh – Flora and Fauna
- Three of the eighteen biosphere reserves of India are located in Madhya Pradesh.
- Madhya Pradesh is home to ten national parks.
- Some of the most popular national parks of Madhya Pradesh are Pench National Park, Panna National Park, Kanha National Park, Bandhavgarh National Park, etc.
- Indian paradise flycatcher is the state bird of Madhya Pradesh.
- The banyan tree is the state tree of Madhya Pradesh.
- Barasingha is the state animal of Madhya Pradesh.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Indore the capital of Madhya Pradesh?
Indore is not the capital of Madhya Pradesh. In 1948, the state of Madhya Bharat was created. Indore was made the summer capital of Madhya Bharat. On 1st November 1956, Madhya Bharat was merged with Madhya Pradesh. After this merger, the state capital was shifted to Bhopal.
What is the capital of Bihar?
Patna is the capital of Bihar. Patna is a major agricultural hub and centre of trade. Patna is located on the southern bank of the river Ganges. Historically, Patna was known as Pataliputra.
What is the capital of Goa?
Panaji is the capital of Goa.Panaji is the largest Urban Agglomeration in Goa. Panaji is located on the banks of the Mandovi river. In 1961, India liberated Panaji and the rest of Goa from Portuguese occupation. Panaji was the capital of Portuguese India. In 1961, India liberated Panaji and the rest of Goa from the Portuguese occupation. Panaji was the capital of the union territories of Goa, and Daman and Diu from 1961 to 1981.
What is the capital of Punjab?
Chandigarh is the capital of Haryana. Chandigarh is the joint capital of Haryana and Punjab. Chandigarh is very famous as it is a well-planned city. Le-Corbusier, a Swiss-French architect, designed it. Chandigarh is a city, district, and union territory of India. The name Chandigarh is derived from an ancient temple named Chandi Mandir located near the city. .
What is the capital of Kerala?
Thiruvananthapuram is the capital of Kerala. Trivandrum is the other name of the capital of Kerala. Thiruvananthapuram is a major Information Technology hub in Kerala. Thiruvananthapuram is a major tourist destination in Kerala. The Southern Air Command headquarters of the Indian Air Force is in Thiruvananthapuram. Mahatma Gandhi had referred to Thiruvananthapuram as an “evergreen city of India.”.