West Bengal is the largest rice-producing state in India. Rice is an extremely important food crop in India. Rice is the staple food for millions of people in India. This article will give interesting facts about the largest rice-producing states in India.
Top 3 Rice-Producing States of India
As of 2020-21, the top 3 rice-producing states of India are listed below:
- West Bengal
- Uttar Pradesh
Around 36% of India’s total rice production is from these 3 states. West Bengal contributed 13.62% of the total rice produced in India. Uttar Pradesh contributed 12.81% of the total rice produced in India. Punjab accounted for 9.96% of the total rice produced in India.
Rice is a Kharif crop. Rice requires an annual rainfall of more than 100 cm. It requires high humidity and high temperature. The required temperature is more than 25 degrees celsius.
Rice Growing Regions in India
The rice-growing regions in India are given below:
- Southern region
- Western region
- Northern region
- Eastern region
- North-Eastern region
- The major rice-producing regions in South India are Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Karnataka.
- Rice in the Southern region is mainly grown in the deltaic regions of the Godavari river, Krishna river, and Cauvery river.
- In the Western region, rice is mostly grown in Maharashtra, Gujarat, and Rajasthan.
- Rice is largely grown under rainfed conditions from June-August to October-December.
- In the Northern region, rice is grown in the states of Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Western Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, and Haryana.
- In the Eastern region, rice is grown in the states of West Bengal, Eastern Uttar Pradesh, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, and Bihar.
- The highest intensity of rice cultivation is in the Eastern region of the country.
- Rice is grown in the Ganga and Mahanadi river basins.
- In the North-Eastern region, rice is grown in Assam and other North-Eastern states.
- In this region, rice is grown under heavy rainfall conditions.
- Rice in the North-Eastern region is grown in the Brahmaputra river basin.
Major Rice-Producing Nations
The major rice-producing nations of the world are listed below:
Basmati – Farming for All: RSTV – In-Depth