Kolkata is the capital of West Bengal. It is also the largest city in the state of West Bengal. This article provides interesting snippets about the capital of West Bengal and the state of West Bengal.
Kolkata – Interesting Facts
- Until 2001, Calcutta was the official name of the capital of West Bengal.
- Kolkata is located on the banks of the Hooghly river.
- It is the commercial and financial hub of eastern India.
- As per the 2011 census, Kolkata was the most populous city in India.
- India’s oldest operating port is the port of Kolkata.
- India’s only major riverine port is the Kolkata port.
- Kolkata has a strong sporting culture.
- Kolkata is home to many scientific institutions like the Geological Survey of India, Zoological Survey of India, Anthropological Survey of India, etc.
- 4 Nobel prize winners from India are associated with Kolkata.
West Bengal – A Brief Overview
- West Bengal is located in eastern India.
- West Bengal is the thirteenth largest state in India by area.
- It is also the fourth-most populous state in India.
- The state has international boundaries with Nepal, Bhutan, and Bangladesh.
- It shares boundaries with Assam, Sikkim, Odisha, Bihar, and Jharkhand.
- West Bengal is one of the great intellectual and artistic centres of India.
- It was the hotbed of the Indian independence movement.
- There were countless freedom fighters from the state of West Bengal.
- The economy of West Bengal is dependent on small and medium-scale enterprises, and agriculture production.
- Among the Indian states, West Bengal is ranked very low on the Human Development Index (HDI).
- Post-independence, West Bengal could not progress in the desired direction and speed due to political violence.
- The gender ratio in West Bengal is 947 females per 1,000 males.
- After Bihar, West Bengal is the most densely populated state in India.
- The literacy rate of West Bengal is 77.08%.
West Bengal – Flora and Fauna
- Around 19% of West Bengal’s land is covered with forests as per the ‘India State of Forest Report, 2017’.
- Sundarbans, the world’s largest mangrove forest, is located in West Bengal.
- West Bengal has 5 national parks and 15 wildlife sanctuaries.
- The five national parks located in West Bengal are Singalila National Park, Neora Valley National Park, Gorumara National Park, Buxa Tiger Reserve, and Sundarbans National Park.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the capital of Assam?
Dispur is the capital of Assam. Earlier, Shillong was the capital of Assam. After Meghalaya was carved out of Assam, Shillong became the capital of Meghalaya and Dispur was made the capital of Assam.
What is Calcutta now called?
Calcutta is now known as Kolkata. Calcutta was the name given to Kolkata by the British. To reflect the original pronunciation of the city in Bengali, the state government of Bengal officially changed the name to Kolkata in 2001.
What is the second capital of India?
Delhi was the second capital of India when it was under British rule. When India was under the occupation of the British, Calcutta was the first capital of British India for many years. Shimla was the summer capital. In 1911, the British decided to shift the capital of India from Calcutta to Delhi.
What is the capital of Bangladesh?
Dhaka is the capital of Bangladesh. Dhaka was formerly known as Dacca. Dhaka is the world’s largest Bengali-speaking city. Dhaka is the largest city of Bangladesh.
What is the old capital of India?
Calcutta was the old capital of India when India was a colony of the British. Later on, the British shifted the capital of India to Delhi.