What is the full form of NTPC?
The full form of NTPC is the National Thermal Power Corporation. It is an Indian public sector firm based in New Delhi. It was set up to enhance the country’s power production. In terms of installation and output, it is India’s most prominent thermal power generating firm. The NTPC and the BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange) are listed on the NSE (National Stock Exchange).
It is also deeply involved in coal mining, equipment manufacturing, power trading, renewable energy & power distribution, and producing power. It also offers advisory services due to the design or generation of power plants and carries out customized solutions for domestic and foreign customers.
A brief history of NTPC
- As a power generation firm, it was founded on 7 November 1975.
- Shri. D.V Kapur became the first Chairman and Managing Director of NTPC on 19 March 1976.
- The Indian government approved the first NTPC project on 8 December 1976: a power generation plant at Singrauli in UP.
- In the year of 1997, the status of Navratna Firm was conferred.
- It has become a listed entity in 2004 and was relabelled NTPC Limited in 2005.
- It agreed with Sri Lanka in 2006 to establish two 250 MW units each at Trincomalee in Sri Lanka.
- It became a Maharatna firm in May 2010.
- NTPC formed a partnership with renowned companies such as NHPC, BHEL, Bharat Forge, SAIL, Coal India, & NMDC between 2008 & 2011.