What is the Full form of DST?
The full form of DST is the Department of Science & Technology. It is a division belonging to India’s Ministry of Science & Technology. It was formed on 3 May 1971 to encourage new fields of science & technology and to serve as a core department in the country to organise, coordinate and promote the activities of science & technology.
A Various task performed by DST.
DST carries out various activities relating to particular projects and services, few of that are listed below.
- Formulates science and technology-based policies.
- It manages issues relating to the SACC (Scientific Advisory Committee of the Cabinet).
- Encourages new fields of science and technology with a specific focus on emerging areas such as the cultivation, processing & application of biofuels and the use of by-products for the production of value-added chemicals.
- Coordinates the cross-sectoral links between the fields of science and technology.
- Scientific and technical studies, research & development, are carried out or financially funded.
- Manages & coordinates the Science & Technology Information System for Management.
- Encourages science & technology via State Science and Technology Councils and related processes at the District, State & Village levels.
Various stream of DST
DST introduced different streams that later developed themselves with focused goals and priorities as divisions or even ministries.
- DBT (Department of Biotechnology)
- DSIR (Department of Scientific and Industrial Research)
- MoEF (Ministry of Environment and Forests)
- MNRE (Ministry of New & Renewable Energy )
- MoES (Department of Earth Sciences)
- Doe (Department of Electronics)