What is the full form of PVC?
The full form of PVC is Poly Vinyl Chloride. PVC is a polymer which is made from vinyl chloride polymerization. PVC is being used in a variety of products, including raincoats, wires, pipes, bottles, credit cards, flooring, etc. Since it resists water and fire, it is useful in producing many products. PVC is a thermoplastic polymer which undergoes melting on heating and solidification and cooling with chemical formula -[CH2=CHCl]n-.
A manufacturing method of PVC
Polyvinyl chloride is synthesized by polymerization of vinyl monomer(VCM) and VCM is synthesized from the chlorination of ethylene. The resulting ethylene dichloride (EDC) undergo pyrolysis in a cracking device.
CH2=CHCl → -[CH2=CHCl]n-
A number of vinyl chloride monomers undergo Addition polymerization to produce polyvinyl chloride. Famous polymerization process to synthesis PVC is
- Emulsion or suspension polymerization
- Suspension polymerization
Important properties of PVC
- PVC is tough, lightweight and abrasion-resistant.
- PVC is resistant to climate, chemicals, corrosion, abrasion and shock. Hence, it is the preferred method for several outdoor and long-life products.
- PVC is an excellent material for insulation due to its high dielectric strength.
- PVC products are self-extinguishing due to high chlorine content.
- PVC is resistant towards all inorganic chemicals.
- PVC can be made more flexible and softer by adding plasticizers such as phthalate.
Applications of PVC
- Pipe construction
- profile applications like doors and windows
- Food covering sheets
- Cards such as credit or debit cards
- Electrical cable insulation,
- phonograph records
- Imitation leather
- Inflatable products, etc.
2) Another full form of PVC is Permanent Virtual Circuit. A permanent virtual circuit is a logical link between the two frame relay terminals and the network-based ATM (asynchronous transfer mode). The link is built above the physical link between the nodes. Unlike SVC (switched virtual circuit), PVC need not be rebuilt every time information is sent as it does not vanish after the information is sent. If PVC is created, the information path is managed between nodes.