Dehradun is the winter capital of Uttarakhand and Bhararisain is the summer capital of Uttarakhand. This article provides interesting snippets about Uttarakhand.
Dehradun – Interesting Facts
- Dehradun is the biggest city in Uttarakhand.
- It is the most populous city in Uttarakhand.
- Dehradun is located in Doon valley on the foothills of the Himalayas.
- The city is famous for its education and research institutions.
- It is popularly known as the “Abode of Drona”.
- Uttarakhand was carved out of Uttar Pradesh.
- It was formed on 27th November 2000.
- Uttarakhand was the 27th state of India.
- It shares international boundaries with Nepal and Tibet.
- It shares boundaries with the Indian states of Uttar Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh.
- Uttarakhand is very rich in forest and water resources.
- Hindi is the official language of Uttarakhand.
- The second official language of Uttarakhand is Sanskrit.
- Gharwali and Kumaoni are the other major regional languages of Uttarakhand.
Uttarakhand – Important Pilgrimage
- Uttarakhand is a very important pilgrimage place for the followers of Hinduism.
- The state is popularly known as “Dev Bhoomi” meaning “Land of Gods”.
- Four sacred and revered temples of Hinduism are located at Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath, and Badrinath. These 4 temples are together known as Char-Dham.
Uttarakhand – Flora and Fauna
- The forests cover 65% of the total land area of Uttarakhand.
- Many rare species of plants and animals are found in Uttarakhand.
- The UNESCO World Heritage sites in Uttarakhand are Nanda Devi national park, Valley of Flowers national park, and the Jim Corbett national park.
- The Jim Corbett national park is the oldest national park in India.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Uttarakhand have 2 capitals?
Yes, Uttarakhand has 2 capitals. They are the summer capital at Bhararisain and winter capital at Dehradun.
What is the capital of Uttar Pradesh?
Lucknow is the capital of Uttar Pradesh. It is also the largest city in Uttar Pradesh. Prayagraj is considered to be the judicial capital of Uttar Pradesh.
What is the capital of Bihar?
Patna is the capital of Bihar. Patna is located on the southern bank of the river Ganges. Historically, Patna was known as Pataliputra. Patna is home to the world’s second-largest leather cluster. During the time of the Maurya empire and the Gupta empire, Pataliputra (Patna) was not only a seat of power but also a cultural and political centre of the Indian subcontinent.
What is the capital of Haryana?
Chandigarh is the capital of Haryana. Chandigarh is the joint capital of Haryana and Punjab.
What is the capital of Assam?
Dispur is the capital of Assam. Earlier Shillong was the capital of Assam. After Meghalaya was carved out of Assam, Shillong became the capital of Meghalaya and Dispur was made the capital of Assam.