What is the full form of GSI?
The full form of GSI is the Geological Survey of India. It is a government agency in India that operates with geological surveys & studies being carried out. It is an office connected to the Ministry of Mines and is the country’s second-oldest survey.
GSI was founded in 1852. Its headquarters is located in Kolkata, West Bengal, and in Jaipur, Lucknow, Nagpur, Hyderabad, Kolkata & Shillong it has six regional offices. An HPC (High Powered Committee) was established by the Union Cabinet to evaluate the work of the Geological Survey of India and assess its capabilities to fulfil growing issues, taking into account the organisation’s technical & human resources.
Five missions of GSI
The five missions of GSI are listed below.
- Mineral resource Assessments
- Baseline Surveys
- Training and Capacity Building
- Multi-disciplinary Geosciences
- It provides the industry, government & the general public with fundamental earth science data.
- It regularly participates in geoscientific international forums.
- The National Geoscientific Data & Mineral Resource Assessment, Airborne and Marine Surveys are created and updated.
- It performs various studies of geo-technical, geo-environmental and natural hazards such as glaciology and so on.
- Its primary duty is to establish a geological map of the nation so that coal and other minerals can be explored.