What is the Full form of NCB?
The full formNCB is Narcotics Control Bureau. NCB is India’s Apex Coordination and Intelligence Organization. It seeks to tackle drug smuggling and prohibited substance abuse and its head office is located in New Delhi, India. It was created under Section 4(3) of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985, in March 1986.
Charter of Narcotics Control Bureau
- Under the Customs Act, 1962, the Drugs & Cosmetics Act, 1940, etc., to coordinate the actions of agents, state government and related authorities.
- Execution of duty under different international agreements for countermeasures against illegal traffic.
- Assistance in cooperation and universal actions against illegal trade in drugs & psychotropic substances by the concerned authority in overseas nations and other international bodies
- To coordinate the steps conducted by governments ministries against drug addiction, like the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the Ministry of Welfare, and so on.
Operations of NCB
Following its charter, the NCB performs various functions; a few of the key roles are listed below;
- Coordinate the operations of multiple states and central drug law enforcement agencies
- Assists the States with their efforts at drug law enforcement
- The collection & dissemination of inputs from intelligence
- Relationships with international organisations like INTERPOL, INCB, UNDCP, and so on.