What is the Full form of OMR?
The full form of OMR is Optical Mark Recognition. OMR acknowledges human-created marks on a specially printed paper or journal used in experiments, surveys, etc. It is widely used where a huge number of candidates apply and to evaluate data with consistency and immediate effect. OMR sheet can be read using the OMR reader.
The OMR sheet is scanned using an OMR device with a scanner that focuses a light beam on the form paper and identifies areas of minimal light transmission, i.e., marked areas reflecting less light than blank zones. It provides an error of less than 1 per cent.
Applications of OMR
Some of the applications of OMR are listed below:
- Insurance and Banking applications
- Evaluation & Feedback form
Advantages of OMR
- Previously, a special type of paper, ink and input reader were needed for the OMR systems, which limiting the questions being answered.
- Now, OMR sheets can be created in any format based on the requirement.
- It takes less than five milliseconds on average for testing.
- Users may use marks like circles, squares, and and ellipses in OMR form to enter the responses.
Limitations of OMR
- Users can not gather large volumes of text as it complicates the results.
- Data might be lost in case of large text.
- Only MCQs (multiple choice questions) are favourable.