What is the full form of UIDAI?
The full form of UIDAI is the Unique Identification Authority of India. UIDAI is a government agency of India responsible for the implementation of the AADHAAR plan which seeks to include a unique identification number for all Indian citizens.
UIDAI helps remove duplicate identities and fake ones. Its headquarter is in New Delhi and has 8 RO offices (Regional Offices) in other Indian cities. It has two Data Centers, one is in Hebbal, Bengaluru, Karnataka and another one is Manesar, Gurugram, Haryana.
Points to remember about UIDAI
- The UIDAI is a constitutional power and a government agency created by the Indian Government under the jurisdictions of the Electronics and Information Technology Ministry on 12 July 2016, by the provisions of the Aadhaar Act 2016.
- The UIDAI is required to grant to all citizens of India a 12-digit UID (unique identification) number named Aadhaar.
- The UIDAI was initially established as an attached office by the Government of India in January 2009. Under the aegis of the Planning Commission, through a notification in the Indian Gazette.
- The data centre for UIDAI is situated in the IMT (Industrial Model Township), Manesar, which was introduced on 7 January 2013 by the then Chief Minister of Haryana Bhupinder Singh Hooda. Aadhaar data is stored on around 7,000 servers in Manesar & Bengaluru.
Objectives of UIDAI
- Ensure proper leadership
- The integrity of the nation
- Building the Country
- Collaborative strategy
- Prolonged learning and improving efficiency
- Open and transparent management
Vision of UIDAI
UIDAI is accountable for the identification and authentication of Aadhar, including the implementation and control of all stages of the Aadhaar life cycle, and for ensuring the protection of individuals’ identity and authentication documents. The original vision of UIDAI is listed below.
- To inspire Indian people who have a digital platform and a unique identity to authenticate anywhere.
- To ensure that citizens of India receive benefits, subsidies and services effectively and transparently by providing unique identity numbers
- To establish a framework for issuing Aadhar numbers to Indian citizens who have registered for it by sending their demographic details and biometric.
- Developing an Aadhar holders’ system for upgrading and verifying their digital identity
- To guarantee the technological infrastructure is accessible, maintained, and updated
- Creating a longer-term organization to promote UIDAI’s core vision & values
- To ensure that persons and organizations comply with the Aadhaar Act in letter and spirit.
- Making the strategies and regulations consistent with the Aadhaar Act, implementing the provisions of the Aadhaar Act.