The present Assam Board Class 12 Syllabus is designed in such a way that it strengthens the ideas that have already been taught in lower classes. With the new syllabus, students not only learn new concepts but they will also explore the contemporary areas of biology. In addition, the syllabus has been designed by the board to help students develop a firm connection between what they are studying in Biology and use of biological measures in everyday life from health to environment to agriculture. Moreover, the updated syllabus has been created with a focus on helping students experience less academic load while ensuring that ample opportunities are provided for learning all the concepts of the subject. All in all, the syllabus for biology has been structured in a simple and clear format to further help students get an introduction to various concepts in a more friendly and contextual manner.
Students can either view or download the syllabus of Assam Board Class 12 Biology subject here on this page. Some of the key details found in the syllabus include;
- Important learning objectives.
- The list of the units and the names of topics and sub-topics.
- Practical details.
- Question paper design and marks allotment schemes.
Students can access the PDF from the given link.
Unitwise Distribution of Marks and Periods:
Group A: Botany
|Unit 6||Sexual Reproduction (1, 2)||6||17|
|Unit 7||Genetics and Evolution (7)||5||9|
|Unit 8||Biology and Human Welfare (9, 10)||7||19|
|Unit 9||Biotechnology and its application (11, 12)||12||30|
|Unit 10||Ecology (13, 16)||5||15|
Group B: Zoology
|Unit 6||Reproduction (3, 4)||5||18|
|Unit 7||Genetics and Evolution (5, 6)||15||36|
|Unit 8||Biology and Human Welfare (8, 9)||5||16|
|Unit 9||Biotechnology and its Application (12)||1||2|
|Unit 10||Ecology (14, 15, 16, 17)||9||20|
Syllabus for Botany syllabus
- Study of the reproductive parts of different flowers.
- Study of flowers adapted to pollination by different agencies (wind, insect).
- Study of percentage of pollen germination on a slide.
- To study pollen tube growth on the stigma.
- To study fruits and seeds of any common fruit (e.g. legume) at different stages of development.
- To study mitosis in onion root tips (preparation).
- To study meiosis in onion buds (permanent slide)
- Exercise on controlled pollination– emasculation, tagging and bagging.
- Stain tissue section for nucleic acid (aceto carmine stain).
- To study the pH and water holding capacity of soil. Correlate with the kinds of plants found in them.
- Study plants found in dry conditions. Comment ‘on their adaptations/ ecosystems.
- To study plants of aquatic conditions. Comment on their adaptations/ ecosystems.
- Study of plant population density by quadrat method.
- Study of plant population frequency by quadrat method.
- To study analogous and homologous organs in various plants.
Syllabus for Zoology syllabus
- Study and identify stages of gamete development in T.S. of testis and T.S. of ovary.
- Study of meiosis in grasshopper testis (through permanent slides)
- Study of T.S. of blastula through permanent slide.
- Study of Mendelian inheritance using seeds of different colours/ size of any plant.
- Prepare pedigree charts for genetic traits such as rolling of tongue, blood groups, window’s peak, colourblindness.
- To identify common ‘disease causing organisms’ like Ascaris, Entamoeba, Plasmodium, Microsporum. Comment on the symptoms of the disease that they cause.
- Collect and study soil from different sites and study them for texture and moisture content.
- Study of animals found in dry conditions. Comment on their adaptations/ ecosystems.
- Study of animals of aquatic conditions. Comment on their adaptations/ ecosystems.
- Collect water from different water bodies around you and study them for pH, clarity and presence of any living organisms.
- Study the amount of suspended particulate matter in air at the two widely different sites.
- To study analogous and homologous organs in various animals.
A word of advice to the students if they are looking to do well in the exams. Students should always go through the syllabus as it will help them understand the course objectives, know important topics and also develop an effective preparation strategy that will help them not only stay ahead in the class but also tackle exams easily.
Keep visiting BYJU’s to get the latest information on Assam Board and get access to the right class 12 study materials and resources.