What is the full form of SMTP?
The full form of SMTP is the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. It is a basic protocol for sending emails via servers between two computers on a TCP / IP network. It is part of the TCP / IP protocol application level, which makes it easy to deliver email messages to one or more recipients over the network. Thus, it has been used whenever an email is being sent to the recipient utilizing email servers from an email client, including Gmail or Outlook Express.
Via a mechanism called the store and forward, SMTP transfers your email around networks. It operates in conjunction with the MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) to deliver the mail to the correct device & email inbox. It determines how an email can travel from the MTA of one device to the MTA of another. The message travels from its origin to its destination in steps, and SMTP does its function at every step.
Various components of SMTP
The various components of SMTP and their functions are explained below.
MUA (Mail User Agent)
It is the client or user-end local service that enables mail to be received and delivered.
MSA (Mail Submission Agent)
It is the server that MUA receives & cooperates with the MTA for mail delivery.
MTA (Mail transfer agent)
It collects the local user’s incoming mail & forwards it for distribution. More than one MTP, as a client to deliver the mail, may be involved.
MDA (Mail Delivery Agent)
It sends the mail to the mailbox of the local receiver.
How do SMTP works?
The SMTP operation is a three-step process and is focused on the design of the server or client.
- The first step is to send an email server from an email client, including Outlook, Gmail and so on. to an email server using SMTP.
- The second step is to send an email server to the receiving email server utilizing SMTP.
- The receiver server uses an email client to download incoming mail through IMAP in the third step and location it in the recipient’s inbox.
Advantages of SMTP
- It makes it easy to communicate from one computer to another computer through mail notifications over the network.
- It is a reliable communication tool. When the customer gets it, it resends the messages that are not delivered successfully.
- It also facilitates bulk email marketing where one can simultaneously send emails to a broader range of audience.