If nouns are generally classified, then they would fall under the two categories, i.e. countable and uncountable nouns. In layman’s terms, uncountable nouns mean nouns that can’t be counted. Uncountable nouns include nouns in their singular form. It is important that children have a clear understanding of uncountable nouns. The uncountable nouns worksheet helps the children to understand the difference between countable and uncountable nouns.
Things to Remember Before Learning Uncountable Nouns
Download Uncountable Nouns Worksheet 1
Download Uncountable Nouns Worksheet 2
When it comes to teaching uncountable nouns to children, there are certain things that parents/teachers need to explain to them.
- Adjectives like much, a little bit of, little are always used with uncountable nouns.
- Articles like the can be used both with uncountable and countable nouns.
- Adjectives like some, enough, lots of, any, plenty of etc., are used with uncountable nouns.
- In uncountable nouns, the nouns are mainly in their singular form. And as a result, singular verbs are used with it. For example, “It is important to watch the news”.
How to Teach Uncountable Nouns?
- Teaching kids uncountable nouns can be a bit tricky, so instead of just teaching them that uncountable nouns are nouns that can’t be counted, try explaining them with the help of examples.
- It is also important to teach the kids that, unlike countable nouns, which include both singular and plural forms of nouns, uncountable nouns use nouns in their singular form.
- Try to explain to them that coffee cups are countable, but the coffee powder is uncountable in nature. Flour, for example, is uncountable in nature but the dough balls made out of it are countable.
- “Practise makes a man perfect.” It’s true since solving worksheets helps a great deal in clearing the confusion between countable and uncountable nouns. BYJU’S has a lot of uncountable nouns worksheet PDFs that parents can easily access and keep downloading for their children’s practice.
- Show them pictures of things that are uncountable as it will help them to understand why rice on a plate is countable, but rice grains aren’t. The pictures will also help them understand that uncountable nouns can’t be counted rather measured for their quantity. WIth pictures, children learn faster and grasp the concepts quicker.
Frequently Asked Questions on Uncountable Nouns Worksheet
What are uncountable nouns?
Uncountable nouns are those kinds of nouns that cannot be counted instead measured in quantity. For example, milk is uncountable but can be measured by its quantity.
Where can I find uncountable nouns worksheets with answers PDF?
BYJU’S offers several uncountable nouns worksheets with answers PDF that are easily accessible and downloadable by both parents as well as children. By solving the worksheets, the children can easily understand the difference between countable and uncountable nouns and have a better understanding of them. These worksheets also help them understand that singular forms of nouns are used in the case of uncountable nouns.