What is the full form of ISI?
1) The full form of ISI is the Indian Standards Institute. ISI has been founded to establish standards for the orderly growth of the industries and the maintenance of industrial output efficiency. It offers an ISI mark which is an industrial goods certification mark in India. It is the most common and identified certification mark throughout the Indian sub-continent, so far.
History Of ISI
- The ISI was founded on January 6, 1947, and in June 1947 Dr Lal C. Verman was the first ISI Director.
- BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) is now known as ISI. It sets the standard of quality for consumer goods and industrial goods. It verifies each product’s quality and standard and gives them a certification mark.
- By a 1986 legislation, BIS is permitted to provide certification.
- The ISI label is mandatory for the certifying goods for sale in India. Any manufacturing company that meets the BIS criteria for its product or service can qualify for ISI certification.
List of general products with Indian Standards Institute marks
- Electrical device
- Drinking water and packaged foods
- Kitchen equipment and appliances
- LPG cylinders and LPG valves
- Portland cement
- Automotive tires
- Packaged Grocery items
Features of fake ISI mark
There are several fake ISI labelled items available on the market. They use ISI labels on the product without certifying it. So, selecting goods should be very careful. There are other characteristics of fake ISI labels, such as ISI mark not having the compulsory seven digit license number. At the top of the ISI, label is an IS number that denotes the number of the Indian standard for the specific product.
2) Another full form ISI is Indian Statistical Institute. ISI is a private college situated in Kolkata, West Bengal. In Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Tezpur it has other branches. It was established in Kolkata by Professor P.C. Mahalanobis on December 17 1931. ISI gained the status of an Institution of National Importance by Parliament’s act of 1959.
List of course offered by ISI
- PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)
- Master of Statistics
- Master of Mathematics
- Honour course of Bachelors of Statistics and Bachelor of Mathematics.
- Master of Technology in Computer Science
3) Another full form of ISI is Inter-Service Intelligence. ISI is a Pakistan based intelligence organization. It is based in Islamabad, Pakistan ‘s capital. It is a leading intelligence agency in Pakistan which is responsible for ensuring intelligence evaluation and national security. Since June 17 2019, ISI ‘s current director-general has been Faiz Hameed.
History of ISI
- In Pakistan, two intelligence services were developed after independence, namely IB (Intelligence Bureau) and MI (Military Intelligence).
- After these two agencies’ disappointing results, ISI was established in 1948 for collecting information and exchanging it among the military services of the navy, army and air force.
- In 1950 ISI officially entrusted the task of securing Pakistan and the security of the country within and outside the country.