|Greek/ Latin Root: μακρός (makros)
Meaning: Big/ Large
Examples of Root Words Starting with “Macro”
- Macrophage (Phage = Eat)The word is derived from Greek, “makro” (meaning: large) and “phagein” (meaning: eat). A macrophage is a large, specialized cell of the immune system. These cells have the ability to recognize, engulf and destroy foreign pathogens.
- MacromoleculeA macromolecule is a large complex molecule that consists of thousands of atoms. In biology, there are four major macromolecules important for life – they are carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids.
- Macrocephaly (Cepha = Head)Macrocephaly is a condition where an individual possesses an overly large head. Clinically, it is defined as the circumference of the head more than two standard deviations above the mean value for a given gender and age group. It is usually a symptom of other underlying conditions.
- Macrocytic (Cyte= Cell)Macrocytic is a term used to denote an abnormally large cell. The term is often used to describe blood cells; for example – macrocytic anaemia.
- MacronucleusA macronucleus is a large type of nucleus usually found in organisms such as Paramecium. This cell organelle usually controls all the functions of the cell excluding reproduction.
Explore more important root words or other root words by registering at BYJU’S.