Through photosynthesis, green plants synthesize their own food. Hence, they are primary producers and are called autotrophs. Photosynthesis is a physicochemical process that makes use of light energy to fuel the process of synthesis of organic compounds. This process forms the primary source of all the food, and also releases oxygen into the atmosphere, hence its importance.
The chapter covers the following subtopics: Occurrence of photosynthesis, experiments, pigments involved, light reaction, electron transport, C4 Pathway, Photorespiration and factors affecting photosynthesis.
Important MCQs on Photosynthesis in Higher Plants
Explore some important MCQs on this topic below.
1. Photosynthetic pigments found in the chloroplasts occur in
a) Chloroplast envelope
d) Thylakoid membranes
2. Which of the following pigments acts as a reaction-centre during photosynthesis?
3. In photosynthesis, energy from light reaction to dark reaction is transferred in the form of
4. In photosystem I, the first electron acceptor is
d) An iron-sulphur protein
5. In the leaves of C4 plants malic acid formation during carbon dioxide fixation occurs in the cells of
d) None of these
6. Stroma in the chloroplasts of higher plants contains
a) Light-independent reaction enzymes
d) Light-dependant reaction enzymes
7. CAM helps the plant in
b) Disease resistance
c) Secondary growth
d) Conserving water
8. A process that makes an important difference between C3 and C4 plants is
9. Which element is located at the centre of the porphyrin ring in chlorophyll?
10. In Hatch and slack pathway, the primary carbon dioxide acceptor is
b) Phosphoglyceric acid
c) Oxaloacetic acid
11. Chemiosmotic theory of ATP synthesis in the chloroplasts and mitochondria is based on
a) Protein gradient
b) Accumulation of potassium ions
c) Accumulation of sodium ions
d) Membrane potential
12. Which of the following is not a product of the light reaction of photosynthesis?
13. PGA as the first CO2 fixation product was discovered in the photosynthesis of
14. Anoxygenic photosynthesis is characteristic of
15. Chlorophyll a occurs in
a) All plants except fungi
b) All oxygen liberating autotrophs
c) In all higher plants
d) All photosynthetic autotrophs
16. Which one of the following is essential for the photolysis of water?
17. For the synthesis of one glucose molecule, the Calvin cycle operates
a) 8 times
b) 6 times
c) 4 times
d) 2 times
18. Photosystem II occurs in
d) Mitochondrial surface
19. Ferredoxin is a constituent of
b) Hill reaction
c) PS II
d) PS I
20. Oxygen is not produced during photosynthesis by
c) Green sulphur bacteria
Photosynthesis in Higher Plants Answer Keys
These were some important MCQs on Photosynthesis in Higher Plants. Explore related articles on Biology, at BYJU’S.