Organic farming can be defined as an agricultural process that uses biological fertilizers and pest control acquired from animal or plant waste. Organic farming was actually initiated as an answer to the environmental sufferings caused by the use of chemical pesticides and synthetic fertilizers. In other words, organic farming is a new system of farming or agriculture that repairs, maintains and improves the ecological balance.
Advantages of Organic Farming
- Economical- In organic farming no expensive fertilizers, pesticides, HYV seeds are required for the plantation of crops. Therefore, no extra expense.
- Good return on Investment- With the usage of cheaper and local inputs, a farmer can make a good return on investment.
- High Demand– There is a huge demand for the organic product in India and across the globe, generating more income through export.
- Nutritional- As compared to chemical and fertilizer utilized products, organic products are more nutritional, tasty, and good for health.
- Environment-Friendly- The farming of organic product is free of chemical and fertilizers, so it doesn’t harm the environment.
|You Might Also Like To Read:|
Disadvantages of Organic Farming
- Incompetent – The major issue of organic farming is the lack of Inadequate infrastructure and marketing of the product.
- Less production- The organic farming products are lesser in the initial years as compared to the chemical product. So, the farmers find it difficult to accommodate large scale production.
- Shorter shelf-life- Organic products have more flaws and shorter shelf life than the chemical product.
- Limited production- Off-season crops are limited and have fewer choices option in organic farming.
Types of Organic Farming
Organic farming is divided into two types, namely:
- Integrated organic farming
- Pure organic farming
Pure organic farming means avoiding all unnatural chemicals. In this process of farming, all the fertilizer and pesticide are obtained from natural sources such as bone meal or blood meal.
Integrated organic farming includes the integration of pest management and nutrients management to achieve ecological requirements and economic demands.
Meaning and Importance of Organic Farming
Benefits of Organic Farming
Limitations of Organic Farming
The relevance of Organic Farming
|Important Topics in Economics:|
For more data on Economics Class 11 Syllabus, Commerce notifications and sample papers for class 11 Commerce, stay tuned to BYJU’S.