|Greek/ Latin Root: caedo
Meaning: Kill/ Killer/ Cut
Examples of Root Words with “-cide”
- Algicide Algaecide/ algicide is a chemical substance/ organism that is used for killing algae and preventing its growth. There are two types of algicides available – natural algicide and synthetic algicide
- Aphicide Aphicides are substances that are used to kill aphids. Aphids are small bugs that feed on sucking sap from plants.
- Fungicides Fungicides are substances designed to kill or inhibit the growth fungi.
- Avicide (Aves=Birds)Avicides are substances used to kill birds.
- Ichthyocide (Ichthyo= Fish/ Fish-like)Ichthyocide is a chemical substance used to kill fishes.
Explore more important root words or other root words by registering at BYJU’S.