|Greek/ Latin Root: bis / bīnus
Meaning: Twice/ Double
Examples of Root Words Starting with “Bi-”
- BipedalBipedalism is a form of locomotion where an organism moves with its two rear limbs. Humans, birds and kangaroos are examples of bipedal animals.
- BiflagellateBiflagellate is a term used to describe an organism that has two flagella – a thread-like structure that helps in locomotion. This structure is predominantly found in many unicellular organisms.
- BivalveBivalves are a class of organisms that belong to the Phylum Mollusca. We use the name “bivalve” today because the taxonomic term for the same was “Bivalvia”, which was introduced by Linnaeus in 1758, which refers to the animals having shells composed of two valves.
- BiovularBiovular refers to the state: derived from two ova. The term “binovular twins” are used to express the same.
- BisexualityIn biology, bisexuality refers to the condition of an organism that is capable of producing both male and female gametes. In multicellular organisms, bisexuality is called hermaphroditism; it is common among invertebrates.
Explore more important root words by registering at BYJU’S.