The Indian Association Of Physics Teachers hosts the Indian National Physics Olympiad (INPhO) once a year in June and July (IAPT). It is aimed at secondary school students who want to extend their understanding of Physics on a global scale. The IPhO is a competitive test that acts as a standard for pre-university Physics students and encourages worldwide collaboration. The major goal of the INPhO exam is to increase the quality of physics education in the country. InPhO will be conducted from July 10 to 18, 2022.(TENTATIVE)
Please Note: This page will be updated soon
In this article, we will discuss the exam pattern, syllabus, registration, result and much more about INPhO 2022
Exam Pattern for INPhO in 2022
Here are the details of the INPhO Exam Pattern. The stages of the INPhO exam are as follows:
- The INPhO test is divided into two parts.
- The first level consists of 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in one hour.
- For preliminary work, students are given a rough sheet. A total of 5 or 6 questions make up the second level.
- One hour is required to answer the question.
- This is followed by 1 hour, where the students are expected to write their answers on the sheets handed out during this period. Before appearing in the INPhO exam, good preparation in Physics is mandatory to answer all questions in both stages. It is essential to have a solid foundational understanding of the main concepts and equations for INPhO.
|Part 1 (180 marks)||Part 2 (60 marks)|
|50 multiple-choice questions (MCQs)||5 or 6 short answer questions with all the questions carrying equal marks.|
|40 questions (MCQs)|
|10 questions (MCQs)|
INPhO Eligibility Criteria
The following are some requirements for taking the INPhO exam. Before applying for the test, candidates are advised to double-check that they meet all INPhO Eligibility Criteria.
- Candidates who have not started university or institution studies before June 1st and must be able to have an Indian passport.
- The candidate is not permitted to participate in NSEJS 2021.
- The candidate must be a resident of India and must have been studying in India from November 30, 2018, and has not finished the 12th board test before that date.
- The candidate’s date of birth should be between July 1, 2001 and June 30, 2006 (both days are included).
INPhO Olympiad Syllabus
The Syllabus of INPhO is given below
- Establishment of the Kinematics of a point mass.
- Newton’s Laws and Inertial systems.
- Closed and Open systems, Momentum and Energy, Power work.
- Conservation of Energy, Impulse, Conservation of Linear Momentum.
- Elastic forces, The law of Gravitation, Frictional Forces, Potential Energy, Work in a Gravitational Field, Centripetal Acceleration, Kepler’s Laws.
2. Mechanics of Rigid Bodies
- Statics, Torque, Centre of Mass.
- The motion of rigid bodies, Translation, Angular velocity, Rotation, Angular Acceleration, and Conservation of Angular Momentum.
- Identification of motion of a rigid body around the fixed axis, Kinetic energy of a rotating body, Moment of inertia, External and Internal Forces.
- Accelerated reference systems and inertial forces.
No particular questions will be asked from this topic, but students should know the elementary concepts of pressure, the continuity law, and buoyancy.
4. Thermodynamics and Molecular Physics
- Internal energy, First and Second laws of Thermodynamics, Work and Heat.
- Model of a perfect gas, Pressure and molecular kinetic energy, Formulation of state of a perfect gas, Avogadro’s number, Absolute Temperature.
- The accomplishment of work by an expanding gas limited to isothermal and adiabatic processes.
- The Carnot cycle, Reversible and Irreversible processes, Thermodynamics Efficiency, Entropy (statistical approach), and Boltzmann factor.
5. Oscillations and waves
- Harmonic oscillations and the equation of Harmonic Oscillation.
- Harmonic waves, Transverse and Longitudinal Waves, Propagation of waves, Linear polarization, Sound waves, The Classical Doppler effect.
- Superposition of harmonic waves, Interference, Coherent waves, Standing waves, Beats.
6. Electric Charge and Electric Field
- Conservation of charge, Coulomb’s law.
- Electric field, Gauss’ Law, Potential.
- Dielectric constant and energy density of the electric field, Capacitors, and Capacitance, etc.
7. Current and Magnetic field
- Ohm’s law, Internal resistance of source, Kirchhoff’s laws, Joule’s law, Work Current Resistance, Work and power of direct and alternating currents.
- The magnetic field of a current, Lorentz force, Current in a magnetic field.
- Ampere’s law
- Law of electromagnetic induction, Lenz’s law, Magnetic Flux, Self-induction, Energy Density of Magnetic field, Inductance, Permeability.
- Voltage and Current (series and parallel) Resonances, Resistors, Inductors and Capacitors in AC-circuits, Alternating current.
8. Electromagnetic Waves
- Generation by feedback and resonance, Frequency of Oscillations, Oscillatory circuit.
- Wave optics, Diffraction grating, Diffraction from one and two slits, Bragg reflection, Resolving power of a grating.
- Line spectra of gases, and Dispersion and Diffraction spectra
- Electromagnetic waves as transverse waves, Polarizers, Polarization by reflection.
- Resolving Power of Imaging Systems.
- Black body and Stefan-Boltzmann’s law
9. Quantum Physics
- The impulse of the Photon, and Photoelectric effect and energy.
- De Broglie Wavelength and Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle
- Principle of Relativity, Relativistic Doppler effect, Addition of velocities.
- Energy, Momentum, Relation between energy and mass, Conservation of energy and Momentum, Relativistic identification of motion
- Simple applications of the Bragg equation.
- Energy levels of atoms and molecules (qualitatively), Absorption, Spectrum of hydrogen-like atoms emission.
- Alpha- Beta-Gamma-Decomposition, half-life, and exponential decay, Absorption of radiation, Components of nuclei, Nuclear reactions, Mass defect, Energy levels of nuclei (qualitatively).
Best Guide Books for INPhO Exam Preparation in 2022
A collection of reference books for the preparation of the Physics Olympiad is provided below (INPhO and IPhO). Keep in mind that many of the titles listed below are in other languages with English translations available.
- 32nd International Physics Olympiad– Proceedings, Sinan Kaan Yerti and Ibrahım Gunal
- Proceedings of the 33rd International Physics Olympiad
- Proceedings of the 34th International Physics Olympiad
- Proceedings of 35th International Physics Olympiad
- Proceedings of 36th International Physics Olympiad
- International Physics Competitions and First Step to Nobel Prize in Physics- Waldemar Gorzkowski
- Medjunarodni Olimpijadi po Fizika, Viktor Urumov
The INPhO results will be published online at secure.hbcse.tifr.res.in/ino/ on the HBCSE’s official website. Candidates can access their results by entering information, such as their NSE roll number, date of birth, and verification code.
|INPhO Exam Registration|
|INPhO Exam Date|
Frequently Asked Questions on INPhO: The Indian National Physics Olympiad
What are the stages of INPhO?
Stage 2: INPhO (Indian National Physics Olympiad) – The full name of INPhO is Indian National Physics Olympiad.
Stage 3: Orientation cum Selection Camp (OCSC) – In Physics, the full term of OCSC is Orientation cum Selection Camp.
Stage 4: PDT stands for Pre-departure Training Camp for IPhO in its complete form.
Stage5: IPhO (International Physics Olympiad) – IPhO stands for Participation in International Physics Olympiad.