The pituitary gland is a small sized organ, say about a size of a pea present in the brain. It comprises of two parts namely anterior pituitary and posterior pituitary. It is one of the vital glands of our body as it controls a lot of vital hormones such as thyroid stimulating hormones, puberty hormone, growth hormone, prolactin hormone. Pituitary Adenoma is a tumor that arises in the pituitary gland. They are comparatively common and usually not hereditary.
There are three categories.
- Benign Adenoma.
- Invasive Adenoma.
Pituitary Adenoma Symptoms
- When the tumor tries to reduce the normal functioning of the pituitary gland, it results in abnormal functioning of the gland. Symptoms occur depending on the type of hormones involved.
- It causes infertility in women and in men it may lead to low testosterone level due to the cutback of sexual hormones.
- In children, delayed puberty and stunted growth could be witnessed due to the decline in the growth hormone production while adults could experience loss of throng muscles.
- Adrenal Insufficiency might be triggered due to the reduction in ACTH production.
- Sudden gain in weight, loss of appetite, the decline in mental function which in turn leads to hypothyroidism which could be experienced due to the decrease in TCH production.
It is a tumor that is composed of glandular tissue. It has a diameter greater than 10 mm. They usually occur in adrenal and pituitary glands. But they could also be formed in the thyroid gland, colon, and kidneys. Symptoms include loss of vision caused due to compression of the optic chiasm, dysfunctioning of the pituitary gland as stated above.
Gamma Knife is one of the advanced types of radiotherapy that is carried out to achieve the same results as that of surgical techniques but might take several years altogether for the normal functioning of hormones.
It is a tumor that affects a pituitary gland which is less has the size diameter of 10 mm. Symptoms of the same include nausea, unexpected hair loss, dizziness, vomiting, loss of vision, tiredness, headaches, breast changes, and change in the menstrual cycle. The only way to cure the same would be through surgery.
Pituitary Adenoma Radiology
It is one of the effective ways to control the growth of the tumors as all tumors could not be removed surgically.
For more information about the Pituitary Adenoma, visit BYJU’S