Maths Project helps students to improve their thinking capabilities and logical skills. Most of the schools conduct exhibitions for classes 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10, where students can represent their innovative ideas and project work to learn the subject in a creative way.
There is an old saying that goes like this: “Tell me, and I will forget, Show me, and I may remember, involve me, and I will understand.” Said by the Chinese philosopher, Confucius
Today’s generation demands an interactive learning model that will engage them and make them learn the facts in an easy way. Earlier, the basic tool used by schools for imparting education was:
- Taking tests and
This no longer is fundamental to teach the students in the 21st century. This is why CBSE board have welcomed the project-based training and learning program for the students. Including Maths project in the CBSE and ICSE curriculum have helped millions of students in their career endeavour.
Maths Project Work Advantages
Including Maths Project in the upper primary stage helps students in visualizing the basic concepts, theorems, principles and the underlying process involved in solving them. Mathematics is a word that is feared by most of the students in their early grade. Some students use maths tricks to solve problems, and some do really hard work. In real, maths is a subject full of logic and proofs. Following are the advantages of Maths projects in schools:
- While rote learning is not recommended to solve the math problems, it is recommended to the teachers and board to impart maths education in a more rational and challenging through project works.
- It has been seen that rote-learning or memorizing, is not effective for long-term retention. Maths related project work not only helps in improving the problem-solving capability but also will be able to learn it in a fulfilling way for their lifetime.
- Maths projects help the students to improve the planning and critical thinking ability of the student as they employ “habit of thinking and mind skills”. Including Maths projects in the curriculum will also help improve reasoning skills of the student.
- It is mandatory for the students to present what they have created for their projects in front of the class. This, in turn, helps the students to improve their communication and presentations skills, that will go a long way in their professional career.
Keeping in mind all these advantages for the Maths project will help in creating a memorable learning experience for the students.
Maths Project Ideas
Maths Project helps students to exhibit their theories into practical knowledge and get real-time experiences. It will help them to grow interpersonal skills and thinking capacity, along with building the confidence level for the subject. Let us see some ideas for maths models, here;
- Maths in real-life
- Number system
- Area and Perimeter of different types of figures and shapes
- Types of Angles
- Equations-Algebraic and Quadratic
- Probability and Statistics
- Pythagoras Theorem
- Conic Sections
These are the few general topics which students can create a model for.
Maths Model For Class 10
For students of class 10, we are mentioning some of the project ideas for maths subject, which are relevant to their syllabus and also they could be easily modelled.
- Surface area and volumes of Cube and Cuboid.
- Comparison of areas of two similar triangles.
- Finding the angles with the help of trigonometric ratios.
- Mean values of given data
- Probability of random experiments
Model for Class 9 Maths Project
Students who are studying in Class 9 can use these project ideas for developing maths models and which are according to their syllabus. Try these 9th class Maths project ideas and have fun learning.
- Representation of Numbers in a number line.
- Cartesian Plane in Coordinate Geometry
- Euclid’s Geometry Model
- Types of Triangles
- Shapes of Geometry
Maths Project Ideas for Class 8
Class 8 secondary students can make some of the best working models based on these topics:
- Constructing different types of quadrilaterals
- Representation of rational numbers in number line
- Grouping, orgainising and presentation of data using charts and graphs.
- Profit and loss for commodities and finding simple interest
- Playing with numbers
- Linear graphs (use matchsticks to represent)
- How to visualize 3D objects
Maths Project for Class 7
Students of Class 7 can learn Mathematics and its concepts easily with the help of working models. They can get here different project ideas to create such models. These models will help the students to visualize the concepts and develop their confidence on any particular topic.
Here are the topics based on which students create projects.
- Types of integers (positive and negative)
- Types of Fractions (Proper and Improper fractions)
- What are lines and angles in two-dimensional space?
- Types of Triangles (Scalene, Isosceles and Equilateral)
- Comparing Quantities
- Visualizing Solid Shapes
Maths Project for Class 6
When students jump from class 5th to class 6th, the level of their education gets increased. They will be introduced with many new concepts which they haven’t learn in primary classes.
Hence, it will be very engaging for them to do maths projects based on different concepts and understand them thoroughly.
- Knowing and comparing different numbers
- Patterns in whole numbers
- Defining Point, Line and Angles (Basic geometry)
- Models of Parallel lines and Perpendicular lines
- What are decimals and fractions
- Algebra – Matchstick patterns
- Symmetry of shapes
Maths Project For Exhibition
There are many mathematical projects which can be produced in exhibitions in schools, such as:
Calculator: The calculator is made up of cardboard, where there will be four holes, in such a way that first, third and fourth holes will consist of movable numbers and the second hole will have all the symbols based on the operations performed: Addition, Subtraction, Division & Multiplication. In this way, we can create a man-made calculator and test the skills of the visitors to the exhibition.
CBSE has included maths project in their formative and summative classes, and the percentage of marks allotted to the projects varies from 10%- 15%. The project can be in the form of high thinking skills questions or case studies based. Sometimes the class teacher also accesses the students on the basis of an open book assessment test.
The advantages underpin the approach to access their students on the basis of maths projects and out-of-school learning. This helps students in making real-life decisions and acquire mathematical knowledge in a more holistic way that will help it in their career and professional life as well.
We approach to make the students learn through interactive sessions, and videos make it possible for students to learn in an interactive way. We, at BYJU’S delve in continuous research and development, to formulate a better way of learning right from the beginning of the early careers of students. The topics are covered in a way so that the students could pick any topic in the videos and learn in an adaptable way. We employ the tricks to the student’s mind that will compel the students to answer their own doubts.
Download BYJU’S-The Learning App and have fun learning with us.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What is the Maths Project?
What are the topics for Maths project?
How to do projects for Class 6?
They can create different types of polygons such as triangle, square, rectangle, pentagon, etc. using matchsticks or icecream sticks.
The perimeter of different polygons can be found using a thread.
Pie chart or pictogram of the population
Symmetrical letter and numbers