Mathematics is not only limited to learning from textbooks. There are different learning styles that make mathematics easier. A simple maths tricks help us for fast calculations and to improve our mathematical skills. For example, the multiplication tricks will help students to learn maths table and fast multiplication.
The mathematical tricks are not only helpful for school going kids but also supports you to manage time in final exams as well as in the competitive exam and solve the maths questions with accuracy. The well-known fact is that our human brain is similar to a computer. It means our brain is like the hardware of computer whereas our mind is like a Software.
Therefore, learning simple arithmetic tricks will help the students to gain their confidence and enhance problem-solving skills. With these learning skills, they can achieve big success in their upcoming future.
8 Magic Math Tricks For Fast Calculations
Imagine how mathematics would be easy and interesting when you have the ability to calculate the problems in a matter of seconds using some tricks. There are different kinds of arithmetic operations like addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, squaring, roots, powers, logarithms, divisions, etc. Here are some of the best tricks, which will help students to perform arithmetic calculations easily.
1. Addition Tricks
With the help of basic principles of tens and unit places, the addition of two-digit numbers is performed by
- Take 43+34
- Split the second number into tens and unit places. 34=30+4
- Finish the ten’s addition. 43+30=73
- Finally, add the remaining unit place digit. 73+4=77.
2. Tricks for Subtraction
Here is an example that requires a lot of borrowing
- Consider two numbers say 1000 and 676
- Subtract 1 from both the numbers, we get 999 and 675
- Then subtract 675 from 999, we get 324
- So, 1000 – 676 = 324.
3. Quick Multiplication by Breaking Down Numbers
- Let’s try the number 24 and 16
- First split the number 24, which gives 4 x 6
- Then multiply 6 with 16, we get 96
- Finally multiply the number, 96 x 4 =384
- So, the multiplication of two numbers 24 x 16 that gives the solution 384.
4. Multiplied By 15
- Consider the multiplication of two numbers say 56 and 15
- Now add zero at the end of the first number, it becomes 560.
- Divide that number by 2, we get 560/2=280
- Add the resultant number with 560, so 560+280=840.
- So the answer for 56 and 15 is 840.
5. Multiplication of Two-Digit Numbers
If anyone of the given numbers is an even number, then follow the steps to solve
- Consider an example, 18 x 37
- Here 18 is an even number, then divide the first number in half, so that 18/2 = 9
- Then double the second number. 37 x 2 =74
- Finally, multiply the resultant numbers. It becomes 74 x 9 = 666
6. Division Tricks (Divisibility Rules)
The numbers that can be evenly divided by certain numbers are:
- If a number is an even number and ends in 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8, it is divided by 2.
- A number is divisible by 3 if the sum of the digits is divisible by 3. Consider the number 12 = 1 + 3 =3 and 3 is divisible by 3.
- A number is divisible by 4 if the last two digits are divisible by 4. Example: 9312. Here the last two digits are 12 and 12 is divisible by 4.
- If the last digit is a 0 or 5, it is divisible by 5
- Since 6 is the product of 2 and 3, it obeys the divisibility rule 2 and rule 3.
- If the number is divisible by 8, the last three digits of the numbers are divisible by 8.
- If a number is divisible by 9, the sum of the digits is divided by 9. Let us consider the example, 4518 = 4+ 5+1+8=18, which is divisible by 9.
- If the final digit of the number is 0, it is divisible by 10.
7. Trick to Find Percentage
Let us take, we have to find the percentage of the number 5% of 475, follow the steps.
- For the given number, move the decimal point over by one place. 475 becomes 47.5
- Then divide the number 47.5 by 2, we get 23.75.
- 23.75 is the solution to the given problem.
8. Calculation of Squares that Ends with the Digit 5
- Let’s consider the number 75 to find its square.
- Start writing the answer of last two digits number, that is 25 because any number that ends with 5 is 25
- Take the first digit of the number 75. That is 7 and take the number that follows 7 is 8.
- Now, multiply 7 and 8, we get the number 56.
- Finally, write the number 56 in the prefix and combined with 25 what we already wrote.
- So, the answer is 5625.
- Squares Ending in 5: n5 = n(n+1)52 = n(n+1)25 , where n is the first digit.
- Example: Let’s consider the number 75 to find its square. Here n = 7,
So, 75 = 7(7+1)25 = (7 x 8) 25 = 5625.
Simple Math Tricks
Here are a few more maths tricks which are simple to remember.
Multiplication by 2 and 4: When a number is multiplied by 2 or 4 then the last digit of the resulted value will be even number always.
19 x 2 = 38
19 x 4 = 76
Multiplication by 5: When a number is multiplied by 5, then the resulted value will either end with 0 or 5. Examples:
11 x 5 = 55
8 x 5 = 40
121 x 5 = 605
Multiplication by 10: When a number is multiplied by 10, then the resulted value ends with 0 always.
5 x 10 = 50
10 x 10 = 100
11 x 10 = 110
17 x 10 = 170
211 x 10 = 2110
Memorising Table of 9: It is easy to remember the table of 9. Just we need to focus on the pattern.
09, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81, 90
We can see, the numbers at the ten’s place are increasing by 1 and the numbers at the unit place are decreasing by 1.
For more maths tips and tricks, to solve the complicated sum in a matter of seconds, register with BYJU’S – The Learning App and watch the interactive videos.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What is the use of maths tricks?
What are multiplication tricks?
How to add in a faster way?
Firstly, round up both the numbers by adding or subtracting small numbers.
Add the numbers.
Now subtract or add those values to get the final result.
For example, Add 799 and 299.
Round up 799 to 799+1 = 800 and 299 to 299+1 = 300
800+300 = 1100
Now subtract the added numbers from 1100,
1100-1-1 = 1100-2 = 1099
How to multiply quickly?
Splitting the number 81 = 8 x 9
Multiply 24 by 8, 24 x 8 = 192
Now multiply 192 x 9 = 1728
Hence, multiplication te number by one digit number is easier.
How to find if a number is divisible by 9?
How to find if a number is divisible by 13?
For example, 650 is divisible by 13 because;
65 is divisible by 13