Diabetes is also known as diabetes mellitus. This is a disease that comes when human body contains more glucose or sugar in the blood.
Human body converts all carbohydrates and sugars into a special sugar called glucose. Cells uses glucose with the help of insulin to generate energy. If there is insufficient amount of insulin in the blood, cells cannot use glucose which leads to accumulation of glucose. This condition leads to diabetes.
This generally occurs when human body cannot produce insulin or it produces insufficient amount of insulin or a combination of both. This can also occur when cells do not respond to the insulin properly.
Types of Diabetes
Type 1: Pancreas is the organ in human body that produce insulin. Type 1 is a condition where pancreas produce insufficient amount of insulin. Previously this was referred to as insulin dependent diabetes mellitus is treated with insulin injections.
Type 2: In this type, cells stop responding to insulin. This also referred to as non- insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. This is due to heavy weight and lack of exercise. Reduction in weight, balanced diet and proper exercise are the remedies for this.
Gestational Diabetes: This type can be seen in pregnant women. This is a condition when pregnant women with no previous history contains more sugar or glucose in their blood. It generally fixes after giving birth to a baby.
Taking proper diet helps not only helps in reduction of weight but also helps in controlling sugar levels in the blood. Diabetes patients should follow a healthy and balanced diet. The list of following items may help.
- Carbohydrates have a very big impact on blood sugar levels. So, foods that are rich in carbohydrates are to be avoided. Carbohydrates that are combined with fiber like sweet potatoes, brown rice, peas and leafy green vegetables can be taken.
- Sugars should be avoided to the maximum extent.
- Some Fats can be damaging. So, selection of fats is very important. Natural fats are good for diabetes patients while artificial fats can have harmful effect on the them. Fish, olive oil, nuts, avocados, tuna and flaxseeds are rich source of natural fats.
- Carbonated drinks like soda, pepsi etc., should be avoided.
- Always fresh fruits and vegetables have to be taken instead of fruit juices etc.
- Fries and masala items are to be reduced.