Overview of Kidney Infection
Clinically, the infection of the kidneys is called Pyelonephritis. It occurs when foreign pathogens such as a bacteria or virus enter into the urinary tract and cause an infection (also called Urinary Tract Infection or UTI).
Usually, the bladder gets infected first, then the infection travels up the ureters, infecting the kidneys. This is a rather serious condition and can be life-threatening. Besides bacteria, individuals that experience kidney stone symptoms have a higher risk of developing a kidney infection. Furthermore, other life-threatening conditions can arise, such as sepsis. When symptoms of kidney infection become apparent, seek immediate medical attention.
Kidney Infection Causes
Most of the kidney infections are caused by bacteria and viruses that enter the kidney through the urinary tract. The bacteria multiply from the urethra to the kidneys. Other causes include:
- Kidney or bladder surgeries
- Infection from some other part of the body might travel through the bloodstream and infect the kidneys.
- Any blockage in the urine flow can also spread kidney infection.
Symptoms of Kidney Infection
Usually, kidney infection symptoms are almost identical to a bladder infection. Moreover, if a UTI infection is already present, the risk of the kidneys getting infected is much higher. These are some of the common characteristic symptoms:
- Burning sensation when passing urine
- Pain when passing urine
- Cloudy urine
- Foul ordered urine
- Acute pain in the lower abdomen
- Need to urinate more, especially at night
- Lower back pain
- Pain near the groin area
- Fever and chills
Kidney Infection Diagnosis
Kidney infections can be diagnosed by:
- Rectal examination in males
- Examination of a urine sample for bacteria.
- Urine culture, MRI, CT Scan or ultrasound test.
In conclusion, these are some of the symptoms of kidney infection. Seek immediate medical attention if any of the above symptoms appear. Prolonged kidney infection can cause irreversible kidney damage.
To know more about kidney infection symptoms, keep visiting BYJU’S website or download BYJU’S app.
|Kidney Failure Symptoms||Human Excretory System|