A fraction is a number representing a part of a single whole object or a group of objects. It is defined by two numbers, one on top and the other at the bottom of a fraction bar, known as numerator and denominator respectively. Depending upon the denominator being same or not, we categorize two or more fractions into like fractions and unlike fractions.
They are the group of two or more fractions that have exactly the same denominator. E.g., 1/7, 2/7, 5/7, 6/7
Consider a few points:
- 2/4, 4/8, 1/2, etc. are not like fractions, although when simplified, they all result in 1/2.
- 6/16 and 6/26 are not like fractions. The nominators are the same but denominators are not.
- 2, 3, 4 are like fractions since their denominators are considered as 1, which implies these fractions are 2/1, 3/1 and 4/1.
Fractions with different denominators are called the unlike fractions.
E.g., 2/3, 4/9, 6/67, 9/89 are unlike fractions.
Conversion of Unlike to Like Fraction
Like fractions facilitate the comparison of fractions. So there is often a need to convert unlike fractions to them.
Let us convert 1, 4/5, 7/10 and 1/2 into like fractions. Steps for conversion:
- Find the LCM of the denominators. LCM of 1, 5, 10 and 2 is 10.
- Calculate their equivalent fractions with the same denominator, that is, the LCM.
1/1 = (1×10)/(1×10) = 10/10
4/5 = (4×2)/(5×2) = 8/10
7/10 = (7×1)/(10×1) = 7/10
1/2 = (1×5)/(2×5) = 5/10
1, 4/5, 7/10 and 1/2 which are unlike fractions can be represented as 10/10, 8/10, 7/10 and 5/10 which are like fractions.
It is to be noted that when the denominators become equal, the fractions can be compared. You would not be able to answer the largest among 1, 4/5, 7/10 and 1/2. But once they have been converted to 10/10, 8/10, 7/10 and 5/10, you can arrange them in the ascending order of 5/10, 7/10, 8/10 and 10/10 very conveniently.
To learn more about like and unlike fractions, contact our mentors at Byju’s. We at Byju’s have converged innovation and technology towards a single point to create an extraordinary means of learning. Learning has never been this simple. Download Byju’s The Learning App.