Drugs and Alcohols are addictive substances. Once a person falls prey to their abuse, it is not easy to get rid or refrain oneself. Their addiction and dependence could produce severe outcomes. Adolescents are more prone to getting into these habits as alcohol/drug abuse is a very common problem that our society is facing today. In this discussion, we will look into how alcohol/drug abuse could be prevented and controlled.
Alcohol/Drug Abuse: Prevention and Control
Young and adolescent minds could be molded in any direction depending on the kind of exposure they get. They might befriend abusers and get into the habit of drinking, smoking or taking drugs. At this point of time, it is the responsibility of the parents as well as the teachers to handle the issue sensitively and guide them in the right direction. Certain measures which need to be taken to prevent and control alcohol and drug abuse like the cases mentioned below:
- In the Indian society, the youths are often pushed beyond their limits to excel in every field. Parents want their kids to outperform their peer in studies, sports, creativity, and every other activity. Under excess pressure, the child often has the tendency to take up alcohol or drugs as a resort.
- Persistent counseling is required to teach the child to deal with failures, pressures, stress, and disappointments. In fact, guiding them towards productive activities such as music, painting, yoga, sports or one of their hobbies could also help.
- Children often pick up habits from their closed ones. Thus, the attitude of parents and older siblings towards alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs also affect the child’s choices.
- In case the child is stressed out and on the verge of abuse, help must be sought from parents or even trusted friends who may guide them in the right direction, thereby helping him vent out their anxiety and guilt.
- Parents must stay connected with the child, keeping a track of his whereabouts at all times. Spending more family time together will help them stay close and honest with the parents.
- If it is found that children have fallen prey to alcohol or drug abuse, their friends must immediately bring this to the notice of their parents or teachers, so that the latter could take remedial measures for the same.
- However, despite all the prevention measures, if unfortunately, the child does get into the abuse, seek professional aid. There are a number of rehabilitation centers, de-addiction programs and qualified psychiatrists who would help to get rid of the problem.
To learn more about alcohol and drug abuse, visit Byju’s.