Asthma is a chronic condition, which alters the airways (or) bronchial tubes. The bronchial tubes function by permitting the entry and exit of air in the lungs. During this syndrome, there is an inflammation in airways causing difficulty in breathing.
The symptoms could either be severe or mild but if neglected, it could be life-threatening. The most generic symptoms so-called asthma attacks are stated below.
- Breathing Problems.
- Coughing notably while exercising or while laughing.
- Chest Tightness.
- Unable to sleep due to wheezing and chronic coughing.
There are several factors responsible for asthma attacks and the triggers vary from person to person. The main factors include-
- Respiratory infection caused by common cold.
- Airborne substances like dust mites, pet dander, etc.
- Environmental factors like pollution, smoke, dust, pollen, etc.
- Smoking during pregnancy and after delivery are under greater risk.
- Genetic factors including family history of asthma or allergies to dust and pollens.
It is easy to diagnose a patient with asthma. There are several tests available to detect the symptoms as asthma triggers. These tests mainly includes –
- Chest X-ray.
- Lung functioning test.
- Certain allergy tests are recommended to detect the exact triggers.
- General physical examinations for the functioning of the respiratory system.
- Spirometer test is used to test the capacity of the lungs by blowing in and out into a tube.
Asthma is a long-term syndrome which has no permanent cure.This chronic condition could be controlled by avoiding things that worsen the asthma attacks.
It is better to know about the causing triggers and by taking proper precautions to avoid the asthma attacks. There are few treatments available, which depends on the severity of the symptoms. Children are treated with different types of medicine prescribed by the physicians. Long-term treatment is available to control asthma attacks and for treating inflammation of airways. Other medicines include quick-relief inhalers, nebulizer, corticosteroids and other pills to treat breathing problems, coughing and wheezing.
To know more about the concept and other chronic diseases, visit Byju’s.